Saturday, December 9, 2006

The Young Ones - TIME

The Young Ones - "TIME" is probably one of my favorite episodes in the series. Well, I do like them all but the opening is definately my favorite.

Despite the rapid fire insults and jokes and curious one liners these guys were extrememly talented. Edmonson, (the guy who played Vivian) went on to create quite a few rock videos for Squeeze and directed some 1 hour comedy segments. The cast has also popped up in feature films and television shows like, "Absolutely Fabulous".

This show loses something when you interject it with commercials. The recent episodes on BBC America have been slightly cleaned up a bit. I am a big one for the two second edit. I swear I have noticed some editing on certain scenes but maybe its my imagination.

I dont know if this show works on commercial television anymore with so much competition. It seems that America is brilliant at shouting above anything around it with absolutely nothing.... that is.. no substance. That in itself is disturbing. Perhaps these episodes are best enjoyed on DVD in crystal clear quality with no interuptions and in blazing full color.

The bands they featured on this show were monumental, they had real character. Bands like Motorhead, Madness, 11 Below Zero, and Shakazulu.

This show was featured as Monty Python meets the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and they were right. Its that over the top...... We need more of this type of vibrancy today in comedy. I hear Little Britain is supposed to be very good.

No comments: