Wednesday, December 6, 2006

The PXIES - Debaser - In Review

When the PIXIES broke new ground there was a little interest on my college campus. Only the musically conscious cared about this new release, "Doolittle" but it literally transformed my life.

I became engrossed with anything produced by their record company 4AD. Although I experimented with many of the other bands on the 4AD label none of them had the hold on me the way the Pixies did.

"Doolittle" opens with the track Debaser and it introduced me to their signature graphic design Vaughn Oliver. His photography and graphics grounded the entire look and style for the band. I feel the whole ensemble, (graphics, art, and music combined)were never more tight than they were on this release.

I got lost in this ... artistic twister... tornado if you will. And I got lost in the art movement in Soho that featured Typography in their gallery works. Motley Crue tried this with questoinable yet .... bizarre results. Since when is Motley Crue a celebral band?

BUT ANYWHO..... When Black Francis sang this in St. Andrews Hall in Detroit he got zapped in the mouth off his mic. He then threw a fit and walked off the stage. As best as I remember thats how that particular show ended.

===============================================

No comments: