Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Edie Sedgwick --???? What Does She Have To Do With Rock Music?


Okay... okay, so Edie Sedgwick isn't rock and roll...... She couldn't even hold a guitar much less a heroin needle. So why after all these years after her death are people like me still fascinated with her?

That whole period of Edie and The Warhol Scene continues to fascinate a lot of people because it was so destructive. It was unique too of course but people died during this strange and glorious period from excesses -- drugs for one. The more people danced closer to Warhol's flame they perished.... eventually, one way or the other. Some just lost their sanity - they were the lucky ones.

This song, "If You Close The Door" was actually a Velvet Underground song. And this montage is really kind of haunting. It bothered me for days after I saw it. I think its because I read all about Edie's history and all of her problems. This music is fitting and she is singing it to make matters more disturbing.

I found myself walking the streets of Union Square and Soho at night thinking about the Warhol Scene. I told myself I would eventually get over it. I obsessed over it and tried to crack the chemistry of why this period of history affected so many people since.

It's haunting. This video carries a bit of sadness to it. I want to reach back in time and help this poor woman. But she was not a victim. She destroyed herself willingly. The Velvet Underground painted real pictures in their lyrical landscape and brought that time period to life.

This video is worth watching. But don't let it get you down.
=====================================================
Ted Cantu is the creator of FASCUBE, The Ann Arbor Artists Co-op, MobileCast and half a dozen more off the wall inventions, innovations and notables worth mentioning. He resides in Walled Lake, MI.. and answers to the name Ted Cantu, Oddly Enough.

No comments: