Thursday, December 7, 2006

JULIAN COPE - EXPERIMENTS IN EGOTISM

Too much to say here about St. Julian -- way too much -- where to start?

After I saw this video I distinctly remember running out of my apartment and jumping on a bus to the record store. I bought the only copy left of this on vinyl... yes.. it was a long time ago... It was a brilliant release. It had a sticker on the cover with about 12 flags from around the world with the words.. WORLD SHUT YOUR MOUTH on the center of it..... and I knew i found my destination.

What a remarkable album -- with a a lot of incredible tracks on it.

What most people don't realize is that Julian Cope kept cranking out songs after this was released. The albums were all pretty interesting and there was also a book on his life... which I bought in a Tower Records store, (ah... i remember Tower).
And now that book is hard to find..

The mic stand he stands on was a real prop he took on tour with him. Cope is incredibly nearsided and one time sang all of his songs to a beautiful woman in the back row. When the houselights came on he realized he was singing to a wooden post on a rickety staircase.... so much for romance.

This man is truly odd.... and well... a floored genius to boot.

No comments: