Monday, December 4, 2006

Echobelly - King Of The Kerb

ENTER THE ECLECTIC NOTIONS

1995 - 1996 was the AGE OF ECHOBELLY. Some say this band got too popular too quickly and then they retreated after too much exposure. Which.. in a way I think is absurd.

The one thing i can tell you about them is that I was exposed to them in an issue of David Carson's Ray Gun magazine, (remember Carson?....). He was the graphic designer of choice in the day and was well remembered for his manipulation of typography. Morrissey, (now solo, ex-front for the Smiths) listed Echobelly and Gallon Drunk to be two of his favorite bands of the minute. I ran out and got both releases immediately to see what he was talking about.

As usual my Michigan connections were not up to par with what was happening. I was able to track down some releases of theirs in Chicago, (this was pre e-commerce era so bare with me).

I found two releases, EGO, (Everybodys Got One) and ON both were brilliant albums. I then got as many singles as I could get my greedy mitts on. The graphics for, "King of the Kerb" were printed on the CD-Single -- from this video in fact. I knew then that this had a visual style that flowed through it. This made me want to find out more about the band. So seeing this video comes as no surprise. It delivers.

The direction the band took on later albums was even a little more interesting. I adored LUSTRA and thought it was a brilliant effort. I never did get the story on who the black woman was in this video or why she left. I do know, however, that their music significantly changed. This created a new level of fanship.

I tend to lean towards more of the popier efforts and find this particular track truly astounding.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Cantu is a freelance writer for the Fascube Network. He resides in Walled Lake, MI and works as a direct marketing gurus.

No comments: