Friday, March 2, 2007

DAVID BOWIE - 1972 SOUNDS BETTER NOW THAN THEN !

WHAT IS THIS CURIOUS SOUND?

This song comes on at the tail end of THE LIFE AQUATIC with Bill Murray and in some ways was the only good moment in the entire film..... that and the old man playing it on stage with an accoustic guitar and warbling in French.. or... Spanish? That is, he was singing the QUEEN BITCH song...... as the credits rolled by somewhat unsympathetically.

Again, I was lost in translation as one of my favorite comedians took a radical wide turn into ..... bizarreville. Whether or not you dig the latest films by Murray is beside the point.


This song is incredible for what it does. Its deceptively simple. I like it a lot better than the Ziggy Stardust tunes..... there is a lot of weight behind these guitar chords. The lyrics try to stretch the boundaries and push their meaning and limits. You can go back to it and not wince in embarrasment. Something i think the fans of New Kids on the Block and Britney Spears have a bit of a problem with as of late, (Britney was sent to a mental ward as of this week).

Any sort of embarrasment one feels from transforming oneself to a self contstructed freak is ... ones own choice. Strange by nature. And.... estranged... from sanity is not necessarily a bad thing after all. The other choices in this world are somewhat questionable at best. I'd rather be artistic and follow the near sighted edge of what passes for curious than give in and like what everyone else likes just so I can exist in the moment. If you recall THE MEMBRANES were very unapologetically politically insincere and incorrect but damn me if they weren't a fun band to listen to. Most of us don't remember them. But between those rare gems and my Screaming Brocolli records I was in a rare element.

This track sends me the sametypes of vibrations. And I rather like it.

cantu writes for the fascube network, 2007

No comments: