Saturday, March 3, 2007

ANDY KAUFMAN - THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 1977


"I TRUSTED YOU....."

The Midnight Special featured rock acts from the 70's. It was on late at night. Most of the bands that they featured were already dinosaurs. I had a hard time caring about anything they featured.

Apparently Andy Kaufman did too. He hated a lot of what passed for entertainment during his time. He was largely influenced by the PUnk Rock movement. So when he came on NBC or ABC he did a form of comedic vandalism.

This got a lot of reaction. People either laughed along with him or people got out of their seats and yelled and cursed their television sets. My father fit that criteria as he hated Kaufman.
My father pulled me aside and said, "Son.. do you think he is funny?" and I replied that I did. He then confided, "I think he's queer !!... they shouldn't let those people on tv !!!"

The 70's were a very different time. One has to keep that in mind. But the best part about Kaufman is that you kept hoping that the joke would soon be over. He kept it going over the top for as long as possible. Sometimes people would yell and throw stuff. He liked all the reactions... either they love him or hate him its all great.....

And it is....

Cantu 2007

No comments: