Sunday, December 24, 2006

Ian McCulloch - CANDLELAND REVISITED


CANDLELAND WHERE ART THOU?

This was Ian McCulloch's first solo release. Ex- Echo and the Bunnymen frontman McCulloch would go on to release Mysterio while Echo fell apart. This was partly due to the fact that the drummer DeFrittes plowed his motorcycle into a tree and killed himself. Rumors floated that he tore his own arm off. I had no idea -- this was when I was hitting the clubs pretty heavy. They wouldn't cover stories like this in traditional rock magazines so we had to go on heresay.

Then McCullochs solo albums disappeared. You can get these on Amazon I'm sure but I haven't looked. Echo and the Bunnymen got another lead singer and came out with Reverberation.... which is a pretty decent effort but it definately missed McCullochs mysterious vocals.

This video is nice too. I sure wish I knew who the heck directed it. "Proud to Fall" was one of my favorite songs on this besides, "Horses Head". To me those two singles alone would have convinced me as a record exec to keep cranking this stuff out. It was interesting and made you think. It was melodic.

Instead Rap took over MTV, then Grunge, and then ... oddly Grunge Metal Rap dominated NYC radio and this gem became lost.

But don't let it get lost again..... enjoy.
________________

CANTU FASCUBE 2006

No comments: