Sunday, December 24, 2006

FLESH FOR LULU - THEY'LL GIVE YOU A HEART ATTACK


LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH

They'll never get confused with being prolific or a political musical presence. But then again so what... this is entertainment. Think of how many other bands out there..... AC/DC for one, ("Loose Lips, Sink Ships etc.) pump out trite lyrics just for the sake of rhyming, (Def Leppard comes to mind very quickly). I like to think there are deeper things going on in these songs but then again, I could be imagining things.



This song got big for one peculiar reason, John Hughes, "Some Kind Of Wonderful". This film about youth growing up in Illinois of all places paved the way to radio airplay for Flesh For LuLu. I liked them because they had cool hair. I didn't give a monkeys hiney that the Hughes film said or stood up for my generation. Hughes views on youth culture in the 1980's always totally confused me. Either kids in Illinois were really that diversified and screwed up fashionwise or they were clueless about how to proceed. In either case, as a film maker he fails at his job in trying to get me to sympathize with any of his characters. I just don't understand them and have stopped trying.

I don't see Flesh for LuLu fitting into ANY of the characters in the movie, "Some Kind Of Wonderful", (the title goes to post-hippie band sensation Grand Funk Railroad.... see? It gets weirder).........

Regardless of where they fit into American culture one thing is for sure. These guys were very interesting. I liked their hair and their clothes. I ran out and got boot braces like the ones they wore for my Doc Martens. I found their sound to be very catchy in the way that I also like The Dandy Warhols. And they were fun to listen to.

They weren't afraid of human emotion either -- which is nice.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
cantu fascube 2006

No comments: