Sunday, May 20, 2007

DEVO - the attack of booji boy on Saturday Night Live

"THIS BROADCAST IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS...... HONESTLY"

When I first saw this I really thought it was THE GENIUS OF LORNE MICHAELS but I was sorely mislead. This actually appeared on Saturday Night Live and I thought it was the most brilliant thing I'd ever seen. In fact this had nothing to do with SNL.

It was just something they put on the show to ... kill time?

This was never really parodied -- or copied by any other bands. I still have no idea what inspired it. Seeing Booji run down the stairs into the parking lot was memorable. As a kid this sort of scared the crap out of me. It was fascinating to watch but yet I could not look away. I wasn't into the music or the dancing. It was about as disturbing as a late B movie at a drive in.

Later the boys in DEVO became the very establishment they pretended to rebel against. These guys spun out CD-ROMS and became major contributors to NICK TV for kids. They had a lot to do with the Rugrats.

Still, for my money I'd like to see this whole thing in its entirety. I am glad to see at least this intro because it proves to me that this was not my imagination working overtime. This was a real production of sorts. Its still disturbing. Its still interesting.

Cantu 2007, posted this on May 20, 2007 at 11:21 pm

No comments: