Wednesday, February 21, 2007

THE MAGNETIC FIELDS -- BRILLIANCE FROM BOSTON?


When I first heard Stephin Merrits music I thought he was from Dublin or possibly from New Zealand..... seriously. I had no idea he was from Boston.
In either case this music has its own textural edge to it. When I first heard this song I was hyptnotized with it. I also thought that this particular song was eerie and introspective but I liked it.

This version is sped up quite a bit but it still works. There are a lot of emotional levels in it that I feel get lost in this fast version.

Now, for here is what the AOL music chanel has to say about the band.....
The Magnetic Fields are a bona fide band, but in most essential respects they are the project of studio wunderkind Stephin Merritt. Merritt writes, produces, and (generally) sings all of their material, as well as plays many of the instruments, concocting a sort of indie pop synth rock. While the Magnetic Fields may draw upon the electronic textures of vintage acts like ABBA, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music with Eno, Joy Division, and Gary Numan, Merritt's vision is far more pointed toward the alternative rock underground. His songs are also far warmer and more pure pop-oriented than the above reference points might lead you to believe, sounding at times like late-20th century equivalents to Phil Spector or Brian Wilson.

-------- eeek GASP... Brian Wilson? Really? Sure I bet this guy spends a heck of a lot of time by himself ala Wilson but I don't get the doo wop happy go lucky beach surf sound of the Beach Boys.... do you ?

I first found these guys in a box of singles around the late 90's and I gotta admit I found them fascinating then. I find them even more fascinating now with these incredible arrangments.

This was posted on FEB 21, 2007 at 8:49 am by Cantu for the fascube - fashion culture beauty network.

No comments: