Tuesday, April 17, 2007

John Denver & The Muppets - A Christmas Together


"C'MON.... YA GOTTA GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT !!!!"

roseanna012 (3 days ago)
I love John Denver, I love the The Muppets and I love this song. Jim Henson was a genius. John Denver was a beautiful musician..god bless them.
(
Reply)

FFWYB (1 day ago)
Brings tears to my eyes to hear and see this again. Thanks for sharing it!

================================
Ah yes..... 1979 -- what a year. I didn't believe that anything could go drastically wrong then... but then again... the early 80's were looming right around the corner.
Fear not, enjoy this again while you can. I do believe this came out in 1978 and I watched it two years in a row. I seem to remember seeing this more than once for some reason. It left quite an impression and I could not locate it since.

This is quite a production. This is great for a number of reasons. IT was one of the last great variety show styles of television. John Denver wasn't out of his mind from excessive drink, (remember the whole NASA episode) and Carter was still president.

I seriously didn't think back then that life in general would get so SCREWED UP !!!

ANYWHO.....

This production has got some great moments in it. The HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS number with Rowlf is worth mentioning. Its well done. I remembered it after all this time and of course the opening with the 12 Days of Christmas is classic.

I had no idea how sad some of these songs were. The muppets in general seem really bummed out throughout most of this show. JD's job is to go around and sort of pump everyone back up again. Kermit looks like he is in the market for some therapy......

I don't know why puppets were bummed out like this in the 70's. Another example would be the dilapidated Seymore from the HOT FUDGE SHOW, (HOLEY MOLEY).... He had buck teeth and so did the two kids he hung around with, (a boy and a girl with footballs for heads).

Still, I really believed that this type of television would be around for years to come. ABC changed their whole lineup within a few years after this was made and by the mid-80's we were face to face with a new style of television, (A Team, TJ Hooker, Fall Guy etc.). The variety show fell apart. All the great christmas shows sort of evaporated. Perry Como, Andy Williams and even the Osmonds vanished without a trace.

This reminds me of a somewhat happier time -- even if the muppets seem a little bummed out.

Cantu 2007

No comments: